See uploaded file
In this assignment we will discuss the similarities and differences between the Doctor of Philosophy program in Business Administration and the Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), which is the program you are pursuing. This assignment is important in your doctoral program so that you gain an understanding of the size, scope, and objectives of the research study that you will produce at the end of the program.
Key to understanding the objective of your research study within this DBA program is understanding that you will use your results to clearly and explicitly develop a plan to actively apply your study findings into their organization. This is one of the chief differentiators between a DBA and PhD program, and you should be able to communicate the differences between these programs to others. Ideally, you should use this assignment to help frame your mindset as you move through each assignment and course within the program in terms of the size, scope, and research approach to help you meet this objective.
To complete this assignment, please review section 1.2 DSP Compared to Dissertation within the DBA Handbook and view this applied research video from Study.com on comparing and contrasting:
Mì, T. (2016, August 7). Basic research and applied research definitions and differences video & lesson transcript study [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/3vyheXBPSsg
Below is an example adapted from:
Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2012). Research Methods for Business Students (6th ed.). Pearson Education Limited.
· Expand knowledge of phenomena related to business and management.
· Results in universal principles relating to the process and its relationship to outcomes.
· Findings of significance and value to society in general.
· Improve understanding of particular business or management problem.
· Results in solution to problem.
· New knowledge limited to problem.
· Findings of practical relevance and value to manager(s) in organization(s).
· Undertaken by people based in universities.
· Choice of topic and objectives determined by the researcher.
· Flexible time scales.
· Undertaken by people based in a variety of settings including organizations and universities.
· Objectives negotiated with originator.
· Tight time scales.
Sample table: Differences between fundamental and applied research
After reading the required background material and finding at least two other resources on your own, write a 5- to 7-page paper discussing the topic:
Applied Research in Business
In your paper, you should answer the following questions using your own evaluation and critical thinking.
1. Compare and contrast theoretical (fundamental) research and applied research.
2. Discuss in more detail the characteristics of Applied Research in the context of a D.B.A. program
Length: The written component of this assignment should be 6-7 pages long (double-spaced) without counting the cover page and reference page.
Organization: Subheadings should be used to organize your paper according to the questions.
Grammar and Spelling: While no points are deducted for minor errors, assignments are expected to adhere to standard guidelines of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence syntax. Points may be deducted if grammar and spelling impact clarity. We encourage you to use tools such as grammarly.com and proofread your paper before submission.
When you write your paper, make sure you do the following:
· Answer the assignment questions directly.
· Stay focused on the precise assignment questions. Do not go off on tangents or devote a lot of space to summarizing general background materials.
· Use evidence from your readings to justify your conclusions.
· Be sure to cite at least five credible resources.
· Make sure to reference your sources of information with both a bibliography and in-text citations.